Library & Information Science Internship at CSIR
The CSIR has an Internship opportunity for an intern within its Information Service. The purpose of this Internship is to provide graduates with the opportunity to gain practical work experience. This position is based in Pretoria.
The CSIR (Council for Scientific and Industrial Research) is a leading scientific and technology research organisation, implementing projects throughout Africa and making a difference in people’s lives).
- Conduct subject specific literature searches;
- Conduct bibliometric research to measure researcher performance;
- Provide alerting services and updating subject specific blogs;
- Monitor publications output within the specific units;
- Train clients in the use of electronic publication databases;
- Analyse and index published subject literature;
- Populate institutional repositories using Dspace or Inmagic;
- Scan, analyse and index research reports;
- Assist in implementing the disposal process within the archives;
- Index archival records and catalogue books;
- Weed the book collection and do journal circulation;
- Request and fill inter library loans, search for and order documents that are difficult to trace;
- Fulfil general library duties such as shelving and creating an inviting work space.
- A Bachelor’s degree in library/information science;
- Must be registered for an Honours degree;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Advanced computer skills;
- Exposure to library web 2.0 technologies would be advantageous;
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
How to apply
Closing date is 19 February 2016. Should you meet the above requirements, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and surname, position title and reference number on the subject line, (e.g. John Smith: Internship – Library and Information Science: Reference No: 306426)